I don't ever like online quizzes ("What 'Care Bears' character are you?"). They're just plain idiotic.
I don't usually like magazine quizzes ("Are you a spender or a saver? Take our quiz and see!"). They're usually overly simplistic.
But the September 2009 "House Beautiful" magazine had an intriguing quiz: 20 questions, no right or wrong answers, and--most important--no method of scoring your answers to find out if you're a Maven or a Mover or some such rot. You just see patterns emerge about what colors feed your soul and make you happy, and therefore work for you.
I took this quiz and liked it a lot.
I also found out that what I like today probably is influenced by some things I never thought about, like the color of my parents' living room when I was little.
In the original quiz, the questions are printed in different type fonts, using yummy colors and a pleasing patchwork arrangement:
But it's hard for me to capture the whole page so you can read it.
And HB's link to this page isn't nearly as visually appealing as the page above. So, if you'll indulge me, here is the list of 20 questions. Answer them and see if you don't get a better idea of what feeds your creative spirit:
1.What's the first color you see in the morning?
2. What color are your eyes?
3. What color do you wear the most?
4. What color do you never wear?
5. What color do you wear when you want to feel sexy?
6. What color gets you the most compliments?
7. What color is your lipstick? [Men, I guess you could substitute "What color is your favorite tie?--jbk]
8. What color was your living room when you were growing up?
9. What color was your bedroom when you were growing up?
10. What color are your sheets?
11. What color was your favorite crayon as a child?
12. What color is your car? [No car? What color is your bike?--jbk]
13. What color was your prom dress? [Men: what color was your prom cummerbund/bow tie?]
14. What's your favorite gemstone?
15. What is your favorite flower?
16. What color makes you happiest?
17. What color depresses you?
18. What color calms you?
19. What color makes you grind your teeth?
20. What color would you like to try, but are scared to? [Please note it doesn't say how you might try this color--could be a new tee shirt, could be a repainted living room.--jbk]